Wednesday, July 11, 2012

excuses, excuses.

Here's my version of "the dog ate my homework":


I have been M.I.A. on here for over a week now for a variety of reasons. I'm sorry to report that cable television at my parents' house is a main distractor. There is a reason Jeff and I choose to live without cable. We simply can't resist the temptation to watch it all. the. time. I occasionally watch Home Improvement, Fresh Prince of Bel Air, and Boy Meets World. There's often some Backyardigans, as I write we're watching a new show starring Eric McCormack, and my dad tends to watch tennis a lot, which somehow pulls me in as well. I mean, did anyone watch Murray's emotional speech after LOSING winning second place in Wimbledon this week? Eat your heart out, reality TV - that stuff was real drama. 


Gawww. Picture of Murray CRYING borrowed from The Sun
Anyway, my other distractor was Eiley's birthday party and dedication. Eiley turns one on Thursday, and Jeff's mom was able to come visit from Idaho, which was awesome, but meant squeezing in lots of quality time. Also, Jeff and I generally do not stress out when hosting parties, but I somehow let a very simple gathering at a park cause my blood pressure to rise and my head to ache. I think I was too focused on making everything look ideal. Plus connecting people is not my strength, and there were people from six different areas of my life, and I felt pressure. I was able to have some fun though, thanks to the almost 40 people who came to help us celebrate Eiley and the one person who brought me a bottle of water and a painkiller halfway through the shindig (thanks, Ani!). Plus seeing Eiley smash her way through a cupcake was delightful.


Photo stolen from my lovely cousin, Brandi. If Eiley ever has another birthday party, Brandi will be deemed official party photographer.
My third distractor was Eiley's dedication. Okay, this didn't actually require much planning, but I was pretty stressed out just about standing in front of the church. A mild case of stage fright. Who knew?


Photo stolen from Drake, who was totally peeking during prayer
My fourth distractor was work. It's taking a lot of effort to keep up with that. More than it used to. I don't know why though. Maybe it's just the combination of everything else with it.


My fifth distractor was so much more than a distractor. It was learning of a tragedy. The 32 year old wife of my Virginia Beach pastor passed away on Sunday. She was beautiful, loving, welcoming, gracious - seriously, choose a positive adjective and it would apply to her. At my sister's wedding, she toted my sleeping Eiley around for a good half hour, lamenting that her babies were growing up so fast. She has three children, all very young, and she was an adoring mother. While I didn't know her super well, my heart is hurting for my East Coast church friends and pastor.


And that's where my mind has been. I'd like to say that I'll write more often, but I can give no guarantees. 

2 comments:

  1. all worthy excuses. and it is good to hear how you're doing, even if there are some troubles. Eiley's bday party looks like it was so lovely! happy birthday little one!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Based on those TV shows, is it 1994? Also, we watched "Perception" the other day and I think it will be a keeper. I'm glad you finally wrote again!

    ReplyDelete