Monday, July 30, 2012

Movie Review Monday: Red Riding Hood (and a little bit about Melancholia)

I've seen a few frustratingly un-entertaining movies lately. For example, I strongly warn you never to watch Melancholia. 
photo taken from here
It was apparently inspired by a depressive episode, and I think it in turn inspired a depressive episode in me. I get that there is something artistic in causing that effect, but it is really not a desired effect. Apparently part of his point is that while depressed people can be a burden, they are uniquely capable of remaining calm in extreme circumstances. Interesting, I suppose. And yet, I can't decide if that is necessarily a strength. Sometimes the appropriate reaction to a situation is fear. I do like the fact that he highlights that there is a flip side to the coin of mental illness, that the package often comes with unique advantages. I'd just prefer to have that point made in a way that does not exacerbate the negative consequences of mental illness in the process. bleh. Two claws down, Lobsters. Stay away from that one. If you want a movie that illustrates the experience of depression and even some of the strengths of those who carry the illness, I refer you to Submarine

image taken from here

After Melancholia, I was sorely disappointed by another movie or show or two that I tried to get into. So I was happy to watch Red Riding Hood, which I finally did find entertaining. A little drama, a little romance, a little action, it was fun. I have to steal my husband's genius new genre title to describe it, he says it was an "Action Soap Opera, a.k.a. The Twilight genre." Apt description, my love! 

My main complaint about the film is that it was obviously rushed through the channels and out the door onto the screen to capitalize on the Twilight craze. It might have gotten closer to Twilight's success if they had spread it out over 2-3 films. Actually, that's a bit about Twilight that drives me crazy, especially when their breaths are in slow-mo, and I just want to roll my eyes. But in Red Riding Hood, there were a handful of key moments that felt incredibly rushed and could have used some more time to effect their desired emotions and reactions. Also, in the end, I just couldn't quite figure out what message they were trying to communicate, and if it was one I really wanted to get on board with. She seems to end her days in near isolation, and that's not quite a goal I'm into recommending. 

One more tiny plus for the movie though. This is so weird. Amanda Seyfried's neck usually really bothers me for some reason. But wearing the "red riding hood" all the time, and whatever else the costume gurus did, really flattered her and she looked more lovely than I've ever seen her. 

image taken from here
So thanks, lovely Amanda, for breaking the long streak of duds in my viewing experience. One claw up for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment