Monday, January 14, 2013

Children's Books Take Six: More

I have realized I go through binging phases. I get really excited about a thing, over-do it a bit, and then don't touch it with a ten foot pole for ages. I think I did that with picture books awhile back. Today, I binged again. We piled up with as many books as our stroller could carry back. And I found a gem. Have you read the book, More, by I. C. Springman, that just came out in 2012?


If the answer is no, get to your local bookstore or library and change your answer to yes. This is a lovely book, sparsely texted, appropriate to its theme of countering excess.  A magpie gets carried away collecting too much stuff, and some kind mice help him undo his disaster. I love a book that is rich enough to be enjoyed on multiple levels. Not only is it a sweet story of hoarding and learning to cut back, it is a story of sharing and cooperation and generosity. I hope you'll enjoy it too! And in the spirit of the book, I needn't say any more. 


No comments:

Post a Comment