Tuesday, January 29, 2013

anything once: ikea hacking a children's table and chairs

I've been wanting to get a children's table and chairs for Eiley's room - something her size on which she could color, play with her tea set, have snacks, etc. All I could find were super expensive ones, ugly plastic ones, and this $20 one from Ikea:
Kind of makes you want to fall over from boredom, right? Well, I figured it would be easy to paint it and make it more exciting. I did a bunch of research and saw that I would be the 293877th person to refurbish the set. You can find my favorite versions of it here, here, and here. So basically I took all that research and used what I thought would be the best (read: easiest) components of each version to come up with my own. Here's a step by step of the process I used, though I recommend making it your own:

1. Purchase Latt set from Ikea. 
2. Purchase laminate cotton from discount fabric store. They only had three options for laminate cotton where I went, so I chose the least hideous. If you plan ahead (I don't like to do that in life), you can find a ton of options online. You'll need half a yard.
What I chose:
Find it here or at Jenny's Fabrics in Huntington Beach
What I'd have preferred, but whatever:
Find it here
3. Purchase paint and spray adhesive from Home Depot. I bought two pots of sample paint with primer. One pot would be more than enough to do two coats on this set, but I opted to do some embellishments in a second color.
4. Put baby to bed and turn on a terrible CW show on Netflix. I chose Revenge.
5. Lay down a giant plastic bag. Wouldn't want to get any paint on the floor! 
6. Take parts out of Ikea box. Paint them. No need to sand since this set comes unfinished. I do recommend priming if you get inefficient non-primer paint. Things should start to look like this:

7. Cut the fabric to perfectly fit the tops of the tables and chairs. Adhesive spray the dickens out of the fiberboard and glue the fabric to them. 
8. Using masking tape, leave space to paint a stripe on the bottom of each leg of furniture. 
9. Pick up pot of accent paint.
10. Since you didn't secure the top of the paint when you opened it earlier, accidentally drop open pot of paint all over couch and self.
11. Take off clothes so you don't get paint everywhere else in the room. 
12. Swear like a well-mannered sailor.  
13. Run around downstairs scrubbing couch cushions, shirt, and jeans in the sink and washing machine. 
14. Think about crying but laugh instead. Hey, there's no paint on the floor!
15. Put on PJs and perch on the end of the couch since the cushions are drying in the kitchen. Paint those accents because all that needs to be worth it, good grief.
16. Assemble table and chairs. Jeff helped with this since he had returned from rehearsal toward the end of step 15 and I looked like something had attacked me.
17. Remove masking tape. 

Voila! Only 17 steps and 4.5 episodes of Revenge to get to this masterpiece:






2 comments:

  1. Adorable! Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SUPER cute!! I dig the owls! I shall plan to do this in approximately one year. ;-)

    ReplyDelete