Friday, November 2, 2012

goodbye, grandbob

My Grandbob passed away a week ago yesterday. Let me explain what a Grandbob is, for those of (all of) you who don't have one:

A Grandbob is a gentle, loving, generous man whose first name is Bob and who marries your grandmother. Mine was around my whole life since we went to the same church, but he really burst onto the scene about 15 years ago, when he started dating and quickly proposed to my grandma. Hey, a Grandbob knows a good catch when he sees one.



Speaking of a good catch, a Grandbob likes fishing. He also enjoys golfing, playing Free Cell on the computer, watching sports on TV, and putting together jigsaw puzzles. It's relaxing and delightful to work on those jigsaw puzzles with him for an afternoon as he happens to be pleasant company.

A Grandbob can tenderize meat and chop a salad like nobody's business.

A Grandbob spoils one's grandmother, making sure she feels like a queen.

A Grandbob uses quick wit, like spouting one of his catchphrases - "It's getting deep in here" - when one's grandmother starts acting like the queen.

A Grandbob works hard his whole life only to give most of what he earns away to those he loves.

A Grandbob is willing to be very silly to get a laugh out of little ones.



A Grandbob will always be missed when he is gone, but those around him are okay with him leaving because a Grandbob loves Jesus above all. 

Here's to my Grandbob. I loved you very much, and I'm glad you're with Jesus. Say hi to Mudder for me, and don't get too sassy with each other up there.



2 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful post. I am sorry for your family's loss. I'm sure he would be overjoyed to know that his family not only misses him dearly, but is celebrating the life he lived on earth, and the chapter of eternal life he is now enjoying. This post reminds me that in following Jesus, there comes a permanent hope that even death cannot take away.

    ReplyDelete