Saturday, September 8, 2012

Cooking with Zoe: Simple Math

The students are back, classes have resumed, and I've pulled out a light jacket a time or two this week (more for inside the house than out, but still . . . ). Summer is coming to a close. 

That also means it's time to see how well my garden did. The Maine weeds proved a bit too voracious for this mother-of-a-toddler to combat this year, but I did manage to preserve the life of a few of my seedlings. I was able to harvest some beans, though not quite enough that I can think of much to do with them other than just eat them raw. Ideas?  I saw a few herbs through to fruition, including some dill, which I'd never seen flowering like this before:


I used the dill this week to make some tzaziki for some chicken kebabs. It was ok, I need a better tzaziki recipe. I think kokkari in San Francisco ruined me on tzaziki, theirs was so good that no other can ever live up to it. C'est la vie. 

I was also able to harvest a little bit of basil. And I seem to be having a nice crop of tomatoes coming along. Sofia and I planted these as seeds, nurtured them in our "nursery" (Sofia's craft table by a nice window), and transplanted them with the assistance of Grandma and Grandpa Reyes. We are very proud of them. Only two have been ripe enough to eat so far, but even if the rest get consumed by japanese beetles, we will feel like the summer was a grand success. I used one tomato to add to some scrambled eggs this morning. Sofia wasn't so into that idea, but Manny and I enjoyed it. For the other tomato, I put two and two together and came up with this combination:


+


=


The tomato was delectable, the basil was a bit too peppery for this use, but it was still fun eating an entire dish that came from our garden. 

Summer 2012 = success.

2 comments:

  1. Yummy! Such vibrant color in your produce! How about a nice Nicoise salad with your beans? I know I have a good Tzadziki (or however you spell that crazy word), but it's at home and I'm enjoying the sunrise at the farm. It still amazes me, too, that one can actually grow something at same one can eat. Truly a miracle of God!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. And isn't it interesting that we've come to a place where eating food you've grown seems even noteworthy?!

      Delete